General Finishes oil-based Gel Stains & Topcoats are quite possibly the easiest of all finishes to use and achieve a “hand-rubbed” look without all the work. Application is easy with a foam brush or lint free cloth. The heavy bodied gel formulation permits the product to flow out evenly (no drips or runs), preventing uneven penetration for consistent color control. Combined with no sanding (your choice to sand or not) between coats and a quick “re-coat” time, you’ll be finished sooner with less effort and better results than ever before. With many colors to choose from, you'll be sure to find what you're looking for! Applying over any finish instantly imparts an aged look to the finish.
Coverage: 125 Sq. Ft./Quart
Viscosity: Very Thick
Coats Required: 1+
Topcoat Required: Yes
General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Urethane Top Coat
General Finishes Satin Gel Urethane Topcoat
Application Method on Raw Wood:
- Sand wood to 120-150 grit (sanding between coats is not necessary).
- Apply Gel Stain on liberally with a ply foam brush, Handi-Painter applicator, natural bristle brush or roller.
- Additional coats can be applied for a deeper, richer color.
Application Method on Existing Finishes:
- The surface must first be thoroughly cleaned by scrubbing with a 50-50 mix of denatured alcohol and water (or mineral spirits).
- Scuff-sand with a 220 pad or 320 grit sandpaper
- Wipe off dust with a tack cloth or water-dampened rag and let dry.
- Gel Stain may be applied with the apply on/wipe off, painting stain on, or dry brushing method.